Monday 30 June 2014

Road Rage or Road Angel?

I was driving along behind a slightly tatty looking older style 4x4 this morning on my way to work when someone threw something out the back window which landed right in front of my car. I stopped suddenly and thought about retrieving the item with which to confront the driver but realised they were getting away.

So, I made a split second decision to chase after the 4x4 empty handed. Before I could catch up a refuse lorry got in the way then turned off losing me more time. However, I had the littering vehicle still in my sights and like a woman possessed I purposefully gained on it, intent on speaking to the driver about the matter.

As I got nearer, I started flashing my lights, hooting my horn and putting the left indicator on until the driver stopped. It turned out to be a woman and as I pulled parallel she lowered her window and I lowered mine on the passenger side. Then I informed her she was minus a black and white spotted toy dog which one of the kids had lost out of the back window.

I couldn't bear the thought of a wee one going to bed minus their beloved doggie tonight or the poor sleepless parents wracking their brains trying to work out what had happened to it. I wished I'd been able to pick it up and catch up with her but if I'd got out to retrieve it I'd have had no way of catching up and returning the toy.

I'd love to bask in the glow of a deed well done but as they say no good deed goes unpunished. I'd thought I had a cold brewing over the last week which is unsurprising given how stressful things were with my sick cat and other family issues. Today, I got progressively more exhausted and congested had to get an emergency appointment at my GP who diagnosed me before I was even able to sit down. He's not psychic, the walk from the waiting room to his room meant I didn't have the breath to tell him why I'd come! He did do the proper assessment but his doorway hypothesis was correct as I have a chest infection and sinusitis.

Coincidentally, when I got home, I received an unsolicited second opinion over the phone with more strict instructions about resting till the antibiotics kick in from my Mother's GP. Poor chap had actually only called to update me about her test results but was distracted by my frog chorus voice and breathlessness. Still, instead of whingeing about being under-par, I should probably count my blessings that we both now have really decent and caring GP's. All I need now is the antibiotics to work over night......what do you reckon?

7 comments:

  1. Yay, you're back! I've missed your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely an angel - that was a lovely thing to do. Sorry to hear you're not well though, and hope the anti-b kicks in quickly. Also sorry to read that your mum's not well - I seem to have missed a post or two. Take care of you both, and hope all's well again soon. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are feeling better soon - lots of hot lemon/whiskey toddys might help ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was so nice of you. Hopefully she was able to drive back and retrieve it? And I do hope you feel better soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear! I think that you did a great deed about the soft toy, and I hope that they went back and picked it up. Sorry to hear about your infection, I hope that the meds do their thing and that you are fit and well again very soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I reckon the antibiotic angels with be working overtime to help you recover after your random act of kindness. Hope you are felling better soon!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Get well soon. that was a kind deed you did re the toy, hopefully your reward was the overnight success with the antibiotics :D

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome and I read every single one